S10 Forums

Go Back   S10 Forums > Specific Models > 2nd Generation

Old 09-03-2011, 06:44 PM

Default 98 2.2 very low oil pressure.

I just bought a 98 2.2 automatic with 144k. It shows zero oil pressure on the guage right from startup and at all speeds. It slightly rises when the rpms increase at first. But barely, only to about 5-10 for just a sec then back down to 0. I pop it into nuetral and rev a little and it barely move the needle out of 0 and I think it's limiting my rpms with it being that low. The truck is nice I bought it for $800 from this lady who's husband just died from a heart attack. He had been driving it a short distance to work. I had to drive it about 12-15 miles today to get it home but am really worried about ruining the engine. No real engine noise. Any ideas?
Old 09-04-2011, 01:51 PM

Change the oil and put a aftermarket gauge on and see if it changes.
1994 s10 2wd reg cab 350 5-speed (toy)SOLD
1994 Silverado 2wd reg cab auto D.D.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:42 PM

I had the same problem with my 96 s10 2.2L. I would check the oil pressure sending unit first if that's not it then try the oil change and aftermarket gauge. If its still low it could be a bad oil pump or like in my case the bearings are worn from the mirage and you could put a heavier oil in it to help keep the pressure. Hopes this helps!
Old 12-30-2012, 03:29 PM

I know this is an old post, but you should be able to test the oil pressure gauge. Thats what i would do first. Find out where the pressure transmitter is. It should go off of resistance, youll just have to figure out what full stroke resistance is, and simulate it. Or, some people(Non-electrical folks) prefer just to remove the sending unit and screw in a mechanical gauge.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to Dimeworkz

Check the voltage at the sending unit and at the back of the gauge...the sending unit should show 12-14 volts with the truck running, and the gauge should show 5-6 volts with the truck running. If the voltage is lower than 12v at the sending unit, the sending unit is most likely the problem (easy fix)...if the gauge shows less than 5v, the gauge (or a connection) is probably bad (easy fix).

If both voltages are correct, then you have main-bearing issues (not such an easy fix, but it can be done in a day or night with the motor still in the truck). Let us know if you have seen any hints of smoke of any color, or you have smelled any unfamiliar smells such as gas, smoke, burning or something like that...these clues can help us determine what your exact problem is.

I hope you are in a 100% perfectly running truck very soon!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:11 AM

From my experience, there is no 12V involved in these sensors. They normally have three wires, a 5v reference voltage wire, a common(Ground) and the signal wire, which is resistance from the switch itself. This wire changes as the oil pressure changes.

To test the gauge(With the key in the on position) you SHOULD be able to remove the harness, check for 5V, then run a jumper from the common, to a ground on the block. Then attach a variable resistor in between the 5V ref leg and the signal wire. Start at 0 ohms, then slowly increase it up, I think 90 ohms is full travel(I am not sure, what the full range is on the s10). Then just watch the gauge as you dial up resistance.

I know some chevrolets, require oil pressure to energize the fuel pump. This switch provides that signal too.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to Dimeworkz

You're right Tim, I had my car on my mind when I was typing my initial response (starting to hot-rod it), so I blurted out some wrong answers...I am so sorry Goodolmoose.

Tags
2.2 s10, low oil pressure, zero oil pressure