S10 Forums

Go Back   S10 Forums > Mechanical > Engine

Old 12-28-2008, 11:57 PM

Default Blazer 350 swap

N e body done a 350 swap on a 4 door two wheel drive blazer.I have 350/350 combo and advanced adapters motor mounts .I want to know if i have to do n e thing to the drive shaft to do this?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to dummyface Send a message via MSN to dummyface Send a message via Yahoo to dummyface

well i dont know.. i have a small block swapped S10 single cab short bed.. and i used the stock driveshaft.. bout the only way you will know is to go for it.. if its a one peice driveshaft id say its good to go.. i think there is some adjusting on the extended cab S10s with there 2 peice driveshafts.. dont hold me to it i could be wrong..
Old 12-29-2008, 10:00 PM

My truck is automatic do you think my tranny will work on the v8?I ordered a book on v8 conversions.Cant wait for it to get here.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Administrator

What kind of engine do you have in there?
Old 12-30-2008, 12:07 PM
01ExtremeLT1

What 350 are you going with Carbed or FI. 350 genI, 350LT based, vortec or LSx based. Each of these will have a different list of parts required for the swap. Also the tranny will work but not for long. You will need to get the stock 4L60e rebuilt to handle the v8. this will consist of servos and possibly a shift kit.

You will also need a pressure reducing fitting for the heater supply hose so you do not blow the heater core.

The driveshaft will not need to be shortened if you install the engine in the stock location. Here too depends on the block you are using.

I purchased the book from jagsthatrun and it doesn't go into great detail for the 2nd gen swaps. But it was still helpful in the basics of the swap.

Last edited by 01ExtremeLT1; 12-30-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:29 PM

The 350 that i am putting in is carberated its out of a 1972 chevelle laguna.It has a turbo 350 tranny with it but im not sure if it will fit without being modified.I was thinkin about runnin the stock blazer tranny(4L60e) but if not can a run that turbo 350 with lil mods?Its a 4.3 truck so im thinkin about the wireing inthe truck.I only want to do this once.I have my 2003 single cab and a 98 single cab that i am also workin on so i am either gonna do it all in one shot or take a lil more time and put every thing in new.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:32 PM

Thanx 4 all of your help as soon as i find out how to post pics of my projects everyone will see it.A 4 door bagged monster notched and haulin ass cant wait to finish installing this motor
Old 12-31-2008, 04:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to dummyface Send a message via MSN to dummyface Send a message via Yahoo to dummyface

im runnin a 70s carbed 305 with th350 trans.. (1st gen S10) only mod that was done to fit it was a new hole drilled in the cross member.. and of course the V8 swap mounts.. well and the shifter linkage since it was a 5spd truck to start with..

(of course iv not messed with my speedo.. so only guages i have are Tach,oil press.,temp,volt,fuel)

keep in mind thats other than the fabbed radiator brackets since the stock fan shroud couldnt be used in the swap..

i have pics of the truck in other threads.. but they wont much help you

of course since you have a 4.3 truck.. stock motor mounts should line right up.. as far as the 4l60e (im not a tranny expert or anything) but it should bolt up.. and im not sure why youd have to build it (for it to last) when its the same tranny used in LT1 trans ams... but again im no tranny expert.. not to mention with the stock trans your speedo should work.. since its electronic.. i assume the th350 you have is mechanical..

everyone says go to photobucket for the pic codes.. i just go to www.tinypic.com its VERY simple (when posting pics, also make sure to copy the [img] code not the url

Last edited by dummyface; 12-31-2008 at 04:44 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to 01XtremeLT1

The 4l60e in the z28's and the trans ams were beefed up to handle the power. I've done a lot of research on this since I'm installing the LT1 in my 01. I was curious myself to know if I can use MY 4L60e. Everywhere I've read they suggest for you to install corvette servos at the minimum in the 4.3's 4L60e tranny. If not then the tranny will not last long with the v8. The servos in the 4.3's are weaker. It's just a suggestion and for $100 it might just save you the trouble of installing these when your engine/tranny are in the vehicle and you have to lay on your back in the cold driveway. It's much easier to do when its on the bench.

You will need to get 2.8 motor mounts along with the adaptor plates. I purchased standard 2.8 mounts from Advanced. There is no need to pay extra for these from a conversion company selling the parts.

The v8 conversion book from Jagsthatrun is well written and covers carbed v8's in the 1st gen pretty thorough. You will be able to use most of that same info for yours. What is the difference is the electronics of the 03 vs the mechanical of the 350. Your swap would be easier if done with a FI v8. lsX (genIII) or ltX (gen II) blocks.

Your speedo may not work using the turbo 350 since the 03 has an electronic speedometer and the signal is converted in the PCM. This is where using the 4L60e is beneficial. The stock driveshaft would also be the correct length. Remember to mark down the stock pinion angle and try to maintain this angle with the new installation. You may also have to move the tranny mount crossmember back some but this would be determined once the engine is placed in for the fit test.

You might find yourself purchasing a speedo, tach, oil pressure, fuel and temp guages. Abs, and cruise control will not work either. All these are controlled by the PCM. This is usually the reason why people use the Lt, Ls and vortec series engines. When using those engines it's a simple wiring harness and all items work like GM wanted them to.

Since you have a blazer you will not need to notch the frame as discussed in the book. The blazer's motor sits an inch higher than the trucks which gives you enough clearance for the accessories. If you need additional clearance in the front of the engine, research accessories that do not stack so far out in the front of the engine. For example there is a shorter neck water pump available for the 350's. I just can't remember which vehicle to look up at the moment.

I went with the sanderson ceramic coated headers. I've seen many headers that were not coated, rust within 500 miles. Heck it's only $100 to have the ceramic coating installed. You then could reroute the exhaust to the stock muffler from the headers.

Sorry for the long post but I was trying to cram a lot in here of the potential snags you may run into and the differences of the two motors/tranny's.

Last edited by 01XtremeLT1; 12-31-2008 at 06:33 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to lil red s10 Send a message via Yahoo to lil red s10

Quote:
Originally Posted by layed out 03 View Post
My truck is automatic do you think my tranny will work on the v8?I ordered a book on v8 conversions.Cant wait for it to get here.
the 460le tranny has been run in the truck without problems as far as some trucks go but i would get a 350, 400, or 700r for it.

2000 s-dyme (LS3) full rebuild
2000 zx2 dd gettin a tune n a drop (sold)
2000 r6 fun toy
2007 Galant - daily

i want a GS300.

i never grew up. my toys just got more expensive.

Last edited by lil red s10; 03-02-2009 at 12:06 AM.