S10 Forums

Go Back   S10 Forums > Electrical > Brain, Sensors & Wiring

Old 12-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Ipaintgrt

Default gas gauge doesnt work

Hello, I have a 91 2wd 4.3 auto and I'm having trouble getting my gas gauge to work. I have replaced the instrument cluster and the sending unit in the tank. Does any one know if there is a relay or some other electrical component that could need to be changed? And the location? thanks for any help. I've asked on other websites and it seems that this is a problem that allot of people have. I'm having trouble believing that everyone just lives with it. Thanks for any help.
Scott
Old 12-09-2008, 12:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to 88Jimmy

Sounds like a bad ground somewhere near the tank...
88' S-15 Jimmy 2.8L 2dr 2wd *V8 project*
89' S-15 Jimmy 4.3L 2dr 2wd *sold*
92' S-15 Jimmy 4.3L 4dr 2wd *sold*
00' S-10 Pick-up 2.2L 3dr 2wd *daily*

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-10 king View Post
Sounds like you messed something up.
-=Grounded Tendencies Truck Club=-
Old 12-09-2008, 04:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to dummyface Send a message via MSN to dummyface Send a message via Yahoo to dummyface

id check the continuty (forgive my spelling) from the lines wher ethey start on the sending unit to where they end at the cluster to make sure there arent any breaks or anything in the wires.. if all checks out there.. id check grounds like was mentioned above.. if that all checks out fine.. even if it does maybe pull the ground and clean the surface of the frame where it bolts then clean the ground loop.. if that doesnt work you might just have another bad cluster.. if its a common problem with alot of people then the fuel guage on the cluster could be the issue.. i know with newer GMs like the "Sunfires" they have "sending unit issues where gas splashes on the unprotected circut board and fries them.. but in at least %70 of those cases its just the gas guag getting hung up.. (replaced the cluster twice now in my GFs 01 sunfire) so check the obvious if all is good there look into another cluster..
Old 12-09-2008, 04:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to dummyface Send a message via MSN to dummyface Send a message via Yahoo to dummyface

there is also a ground that goes somewhere???? under the dash.. its not hooked up in my GFs dads 86 S15 and his gas guage will work sometimes.. and sometimes not.. normally when sitting idle it works fine but driving it doesnt.. and if i hold the ground to metal it works fine.. so u might check the grounds under the drivers side dash on your truck as well..
Old 12-09-2008, 07:23 PM

You may have gotten a faulty sender. Unfortunately that happens quite a bit. Also run Marvel Mystery Oil through your fuel. It seems to help lube the contacts for the sensor and make sit work better.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

ZR2: The official recovery vehicle of Jeep.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to 88Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Marvel Mystery Oil
That name makes me nervous... I've heard good things and bad things of it though...
88' S-15 Jimmy 2.8L 2dr 2wd *V8 project*
89' S-15 Jimmy 4.3L 2dr 2wd *sold*
92' S-15 Jimmy 4.3L 4dr 2wd *sold*
00' S-10 Pick-up 2.2L 3dr 2wd *daily*

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-10 king View Post
Sounds like you messed something up.
-=Grounded Tendencies Truck Club=-
Old 12-09-2008, 11:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to vivalahammer

marvel mystery oil is one of the best things i've encountered. i vote +1 for it lol
'01 blazer xtreme - slammed daily
'39 gmc pickup - newest project
Old 12-09-2008, 11:57 PM

MMO has been around since I think before mechanics were invented haha. It's incredible stuff. I ran 3 tanks of gasoline through my truck with MMO added and my fuel guage got *more* reliable. It still only shows 7/8ths after I just filled up though...oh well. Just watch your odometer. Way more accurate than the fuel guage

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

Old 12-10-2008, 02:42 AM

ROFL.. my fuel gauge is either 1/4 tank off or 1/2 tank off.. i dont remember wich.. (in my 92 V8 S10) i had a sender i was gonna swap in (sold it today for $10) just so the gas gauge would read right but when i got the truck jacked up enough that i could squeexe under there enough to look around i realized the tank looks HUGE like maybe from a full size truck.. not entirely sure because when i picked it up she was on E and it took $17.50 to fill it wich was right around 10-13gal. i assume it wasnt completely empty.. dunno? my thoughts are after i get the speedo hooked back up and the odometer starts counting again ill fill it up and drive it till i run out of gas.. and then ill know haha
Old 12-10-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummyface View Post
ROFL.. my fuel gauge is either 1/4 tank off or 1/2 tank off.. i dont remember wich.. (in my 92 V8 S10) i had a sender i was gonna swap in (sold it today for $10) just so the gas gauge would read right but when i got the truck jacked up enough that i could squeexe under there enough to look around i realized the tank looks HUGE like maybe from a full size truck.. not entirely sure because when i picked it up she was on E and it took $17.50 to fill it wich was right around 10-13gal. i assume it wasnt completely empty.. dunno? my thoughts are after i get the speedo hooked back up and the odometer starts counting again ill fill it up and drive it till i run out of gas.. and then ill know haha
It's an 18 gallon tank...not exactly tiny...