S10 Forums

Go Back   S10 Forums > Electrical > Brain, Sensors & Wiring

Old 12-02-2009, 04:43 AM

Default interior/dome light problem

I just reinstalled my dash on my 99 s10 after fixing a leaky heater core, now my interior lights won't work correctly. I can't turn them on with the dimmer switch, and the dome override will not turn them off. The drivers door switch neither turns them on or off, but the pass side switch works fine. I checked the door switches by removing them and installing them on the opposite sides and got the same result as before, so I'm assuming the switches themselves are not the problem.

The only thing I can think of is that I pinched a wire somewhere and that is causing it to short out and malfuntion, but really not sure. Just wondering if anyone has ever run into this problem before. Any leads, experiences, or ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:28 PM

Have you checked the connection on the back of the headlight switch? Try unplugging it and plugging it in again to make sure it's seated properly.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

ZR2: The official recovery vehicle of Jeep.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:29 AM

Thanks AK, but I'm sure it's got a good connection, one of the first things I checked. I also crawled around on the floorboards and all the wiring seems to be ran correctly behind the dash as far as I can tell without actually removing the dash again.

I have been thinking tonight that I did remove the cassette deck and all wiring for it from the console. Seeing how the radio stays on till you open the door to get out, maybe this is causing a problem? I seriously doubt it, but just grasping at straws at this point.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plungerpete View Post
Thanks AK, but I'm sure it's got a good connection, one of the first things I checked. I also crawled around on the floorboards and all the wiring seems to be ran correctly behind the dash as far as I can tell without actually removing the dash again.

I have been thinking tonight that I did remove the cassette deck and all wiring for it from the console. Seeing how the radio stays on till you open the door to get out, maybe this is causing a problem? I seriously doubt it, but just grasping at straws at this point.
you may have hit on something there considering how many things are integrated into stereos these days.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin_rotor View Post
Check for the grounds that attach to the bottom dash bolts.. Bet you left one off...
Do the 99's still have the slip on pins up under the dash like the first gens did??? I leave those off all the time.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:14 AM

Hooked the cassette deck back up this evening, no effect though. It was worth a shot. Finally broke down and pulled the dash again. Gave all the wiring a quick once over then reinstalled the dash. Hooked up all the light switches and now all works fine! Maybe I missed something the first time? That is always a possibility. All I got hooked up tonight is the lights, so I'll keep checking them as the rest of the dash(speedo,radio,heater controls, ect.) gets reinstalled. Probley just hook up only the essentals and drive it around partially assembled for a week or so, I've had bad luck with things that "magically" fix themselves. Wasted two nights looking for what was wrong and never found the problem.

Actually hope I did forget a ground or didn't have a good connection on one of the clips the first time. Thanks everyone for your input. Hopefully its the end of this thread.