S10 Forums

Go Back   S10 Forums > Mechanical > Suspension

Old 05-16-2011, 06:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to carljames0603 Send a message via MSN to carljames0603 Send a message via Yahoo to carljames0603
Default soft brake pedal

I know this probably isn't in the right section, but I was driving when my pedal went soft. At first I thought it was a broken line but when I checked I had no leaks. I replaced my master cylinder and bled all the lines, but still have the same problem. (I did bench bleed the new master first). I am 99.99% sure I bled them right too. Any thoughts? Is it possible that the anti-lock valve is the problem (the truck was throwing a code saying that some was wrong with it before)?
Thanks in advance guys.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:40 AM

Have you cleared code and checked to see if it comes back? If you dont have any air in the lines check rear brakes and make sure they are adjusted. If the adjusters are froze or sticking could cause soft pedal when rear shoes wear down.

85 shortbed 2.8 5spd DD
87 blazer 4wd soon to be parts

Old 05-17-2011, 10:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to carljames0603 Send a message via MSN to carljames0603 Send a message via Yahoo to carljames0603

The code has been cleared, yes. How do I adjust the rear brakes? I think there is still pad left on the rear drums.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:11 PM

If its drum brakes. There should be a small slot in bottom of backing plate (might have a rubber plug in it) use a brake spoon or a bent flat head screwdriver to reach in and turn the adjuster. You should be able to spin it one way the self adjuster arm will stop it from going the wrong way. Spin tire while your doing it and listen for shoes to make contact slight drag but not enough you cant spin the wheel. see if pedal feels any better.

85 shortbed 2.8 5spd DD
87 blazer 4wd soon to be parts